This slow cooker meal costs less than $2.50 per serving
2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
1 3½ lb chuck roast
1 medium onion, halved and cut into ¼-inch slices
5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed slightly
2 lbs small Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
2 packets onion soup mix
½ tsp black pepper
2 10¾ oz cans cream of mushroom soup
1 14.5 oz can low sodium beef broth
½ cup sour cream
1. If using a Dutch oven, preheat oven to 325°F. In the Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high. Brown the meat, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Add onions; cook for 5 more minutes. Add garlic; cook for another minute.
2. If using slow cooker, transfer the meat and onion mixture to it. Add remaining ingredients except sour cream. Cover and set cooker on low heat setting. If using a Dutch oven for entire time, cover and place in oven.
3. Cook 4 and a half hours. Remove Dutch oven from oven or turn off the slow cooker. Remove meat; rest on cutting board.
4. With a slotted spoon, remove potatoes to a bowl. Add sour cream; smash with wooden spoon. Season with salt, if desired.
5. Slice beef; serve with broth on top and potatoes in a bowl.
Serves 8. Per serving: 780 calories, 10g carbs, 22g protein, 5g fat, 60mg cholesterol, 1290mg sodium, 3g fiber.
Total Estimated Cost: $19.61 (For 8 servings!)